What's a wiki and what can it do for your cataloging department? At Ohio University's Alden Library, local cataloging policies and procedures are being converted into a web-based wiki format that can be easily accessed and edited by all cataloging staff. Topics to be covered in the presentation include:
- basic principles of wikis
- the personnel and tools needed to get started
- initial decision-making related to set-up
- strategies for converting existing cataloging documentation into wiki format
- writing new documentation, editing and monitoring content
- wiki organization techniques
- potential challenges and obstacles to implementation
- strategies for staff education on the use of the wiki
Ohio Valley Group of Technical Services Librarians
Digital Services Department; Wright State University Libraries
& Nichols, D.
(2008). Wiki What? Documenting Cataloging Processes in Wiki Format. .