Item Identifier Number
MS-152: Dayton-Wright Airplane Company Photographs
The Nordyke Marmon 12 cylinder engine is the center focus in the photograph. This engine was built by the Marmon Automobile company of Indianapolis, Indiana. Marmon was commissioned to build 5,000 of these engines for the war effort. These engines were used to power the De Havilland DH-4 airplane. The photograph shows the engine installed in the fuselage of the De Havilland DH-4 with landing gear already attached at the Dayton-Wright Airplane Company. In the background Dayton-Wright employees work on another fuselage. The room to the left is filled with Liberty 12 cylinder engines. The title on the negative is "The Dayton-Wright Airplane Co. "Nordyke Marmon Motor" July-16 18" and is labeled 16.
Special Collections and Archives; Wright State University Libraries
Digital Services Department; Wright State University Libraries
8x10 Glass plate negative
Special Collections and Archives provides reprints or digital copies of our materials for a fee. For further information please visit their website or call (937) 775-2092.
Epson Expression 10000 XL
ms152_016; Airplanes--Parts; De Havilland DH-4; Airplane factories; Liberty Engine; Aircraft industry; Aircraft industry--Employees; World War, 1914-1918