Item Identifier Number
MS-152: Dayton-Wright Airplane Company Photographs
A De Havilland DH-4 with military markings, gun sites at the front cockpit, and what appears to be a set of guns covered on the Scarff ring of the second cockpit is the center of the photograph taken at the Dayton-Wright Airplane Company South Field, circa 1918. Generators that are attached to the landing gear were used for heat, lights, and electric power. Navigation lights and a flare dispenser are visible on the wing. The tail number of the aircraft is 40044. Hangars are visible to the right of the aircraft and the background shows local farms. A sign that lies on the ground behind the aircraft reads "Please Keep Off The Grass".
Special Collections and Archives; Wright State University Libraries
Digital Services Department; Wright State University Libraries
8x10 Glass plate negative
Special Collections and Archives provides reprints or digital copies of our materials for a fee. For further information please visit their website or call (937) 775-2092.
Epson Expression 10000 XL
ms152_035; Aircraft industry; World War, 1914-1918; De Havilland DH-4; Military weapons; Airplane factories; Hangars; South Field Dayton-Wright Airplane Company; Experimental Station Dayton-Wright Airplane Company; Electric power