Item Identifier Number
MS-152: Dayton-Wright Airplane Company Photographs
The photograph shows a De Havilland DH-4 with military markings, weapons, and equipment at the Dayton-Wright Airplane Company, circa 1918. The aircraft has twin Lewis guns mounted on the Scarff ring and fixed Marlin machine guns at the pilot's cockpit. The aircraft is equipped with navigation lights and flare dispensers. Under the wings Mark III high explosive bombs hang on Mark V release mechanisms. Two generators are attached to the legs of the landing gear to create electricity for heated suits, radio equipment, and lights. Residential buildings are seen in the background. A barn in the background has a sign painted on it that reads "For best results use Lowes Bros Paints." The negative is labeled 64.
Special Collections and Archives; Wright State University Libraries
Digital Services Department; Wright State University Libraries
8x10 Glass plate negative
Special Collections and Archives provides reprints or digital copies of our materials for a fee. For further information please visit their website or call (937) 775-2092.
Epson Expression 10000 XL
ms152_055; Military weapons; De Havilland DH-4; Electric power; Aircraft industry; World War, 1914-1918