Item Identifier Number
MS-152: Dayton-Wright Airplane Company Photographs
The photograph shows a De Havilland DH-4 with military markings, weapons and equipment at the Dayton-Wright Airplane Company, circa 1918. The aircraft is sitting in an open field. Navigation lights and flare dispensers are visible on the wings as well as Mark V release mechanisms for bombs. The landing gear has two generators attached to provide electricity for the lights, communication lines, flares, and heated suits. The Aldis sight is visible at the pilots cockpit but the twin Marlin guns are missing. Twin Lewis guns appear to be mounted on the Scarff ring in the second cockpit and they are covered. The tail number of the aircraft is 40044. In the background residential buildings are visible.
Special Collections and Archives; Wright State University Libraries
Digital Services Department; Wright State University Libraries
8x10 Glass plate negative
Special Collections and Archives provides reprints or digital copies of our materials for a fee. For further information please visit their website or call (937) 775-2092.
Epson Expression 10000 XL
ms152_076; Military weapons; De Havilland DH-4; Electric power; Aircraft industry; World War, 1914-1918