Item Identifier Number
MS-1: Wright Brothers Collection
A reviewing stand with dignitaries and a crowd for the unveiling of a two-ton marble monument on the site of the Wright Brothers first civilian pilot training school. The monument reads, "1910-1943. This stone to mark the airdrome expansion at Maxwell Field, completed on 1 December 1943, must endure in honor of Orville Wright who flew here on 26 March 1910 and Lieut. Wm. C. Maxwell for whom this post is named, and all men who fly for freedom, the living and the dead."
Special Collections and Archives; Wright State University Libraries
Digital Services Department; Wright State University Libraries
Photographic print, black and white
Special Collections and Archives provides reprints or digital copies of our materials for a fee. For further information please visit their website or call (937) 775-2092.
AGFA DuoScan T2000XL
ms1_24_2_1; Military Air Fields; Maxwell Field (Ala.); Maxwell Air Force Base (Ala.); Rites and ceremonies; Historic sites; Monuments; Memorials; Buildings; Airport control towers; Hangars; Orators; Cameras; Camera operators; Airport buildings