Item Identifier Number
MS-204: Charles Lewis Collection
Ambroise Goupy's No. 1 was the first powered triplane to fly. The Goupy was powered by a 50 hp Antoinette engine designed by Leon Levavasseur. Shown here, it was built by Voisin Fréres in 1908. Not satisfied, his second design was the first biplane with staggered wings. The aircraft was built by Blériot's factory in cooperation with Italian pioneer Mario Calderara.
Special Collections and Archives; Wright State University Libraries
Digital Initiatives and Repository Services
Special Collections and Archives provides reprints or digital copies of our materials for a fee. For further information please visit their website or call (937) 775-2092.
MS204_18; Goupy, Ambroise, 1876-1951; Ambroise Goupy's No. 1; Triplanes; 50 hp Antoinette engine; Postcards